Monday 24 March 2014

Theoradical Hobohemians - Underground Poetry Event 1st April 8pm (The Basement)

Interview with promoter Ruth Bioletti
Q. How did you come up with the name "Theoradical Hobohemian" for your event?
A. I was literally banging my head against a brick wall trying to think up a cool name of
r my show of underground, irreverent poets when my family and I did a brain storm after dinner one night. Luckily for me there are some very creative people in my house and everyone had a word they particularly liked. My son wanted the word Theoretical, my daughter Radical, I like Bohemian and my husband Hobosexual but that one was taken. So there you have it...Theoradical Hobohemians!!! Four words slammed together, its quite simple really!!! ((laughter)) 

Q. What can we expect from the show at The Basement on April 1st
A. Well anything can happen at this event!! I've come to know these poets and musicians and they are....well..'wild' and that really is an understatement, believe you me!! Expect the unexpected is the best advise I can give anyone brave enough to buy a ticket!! (laughing). But there is going to be some serious Beat Poetry from Shane Hollands who is teaming up with musician Paul Williams as The Beautiful Losers. The line up is a who's who of Auckland's Underground Poetry scene...from the inner world of the visually impaired poet Renè Harrison who looks like a pirate, to the take no prisoners ex-marine Jeremy Beale! 

Q. I see there are a couple of women in the line up Ruth...are they as 'irreverent' as the guy poets??
A. Ha are you kidding me, these two women Michelle Bolton and Simone Kaho are feisty woman and not to be messed with!!  Michelle's mashed up American-New Zealand accent can cut through the noise of the worst Krd bars! Simone is also not the type of woman to let people ignore her. When she gets up on to the stage she pounds that poetry out...you listen!!! Both women are very experienced and are respected amongst the poetry scene in Auckland, I'm proud to have them on board.

Q. How do the musicians fit into this picture?
A. I take my hat off to them, it can't be easy playing music and accompanying poets with all their eccentricities. Jarad Bryant makes it look easy. He adds a delightful feel to the show, you can see he's into fun...he cracks me up with his over the top outfits!  Paul Williams I would describe as a heavy weight in terms of music. He has a sensibility that is extraordinary, the best description of him that I have come across is 'soundscapes' his stuff is on another level.

Q. What is your personal favourite??
A. Hummm thats a dangerous question I'll have to watch my back at the rehearsal on Sunday (cringing). But lets be brave here...I'm going to say that Jarad and Christian Jensen's beat poem 'Simple Human' was an unabashed smashed hit at The Kerouac Effect in 2013. Christian's has a kind of cynical theme to his poetry, combined that with Jarad's crazy techno beats and you have genius!!    

Q. How did you get into promoting shows in Auckland Ruth?
A. That is a very good question??? Ummm well it really came down to being the only person silly enough to take on the job!! (eye roll!!) I'm an artist and I decided to go to Poetry Live as a night out to get away from the art scene...a change of scene really. But what I notice that there were some seriously talented people at this club but they needed promotion to get some kind of elevation and recognition. Poets reciting to poets!!! I would be thinking, 'hey there is a whole world out there lets go'...so there you have it. I felt this need to help them out a bit so I started taking photos with my cheap cell phone and it grew from there.

Q. Its at The Basement?
A. Yes it will be wonderful to see them there, on April Fools Day...of all days! Next week Tuesday 1st April 8pm. I would love to see a younger crowd come to this gig, I think they will get a lot out of it. Our youngest poet, Chris McMurray is into Hobohemian issues, he speaks for the generation dealing with modern life.

Q. Do you plan to do other shows with the Theoradical Hobohemians?
A. To be quite honest I hope not!! (laughing). All I can see is the finishing line for the Basement gig and thats all I can focus on at the moment but who knows I'm very good friends with these great people and never say never!!! Ask me again after the show!!!

Thanks Ruth you have been great to interview and all the best with your show Theoradical Hobohemians. 

LINKS to the Show

TICKETS: http://www.iticket.co.nz/events/2014/apr/theoradical-hobohemians


 https://www.facebook.com/events/478674418922487/



No comments:

Post a Comment